Thursday, March 27, 2014

Vector Analysis 2 Module 10

Desoto National Forest Possible Camping Sites

In this weeks lab I performed buffering, dissolve, and overlay. Buffers and overlay are two of the most common operations in GIS. A buffer is a area that is x amount of distance away from a map feature. With buffers you can choose different areas to buffer based on the map feature. You can also apply multiple buffers to the same feature to create a range ring around the feature.

With the above map I was given the vector data and requires to create buffers around the lakes, roads, and rivers. These features were then overlaid with the conservation area file. The conservation areas I am not allowed to camp in, the areas of the conservation area that overlapped my buffers were then removed from the map. The buffers that I created were 500 meters of a river, 300 meters of a road, and 150 meters of a lake. Since I was only given the vector data I added a base map that allowed to see that this campsite was was in the Desoto National Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment